Upstairs Only: Sleeps 6
The Star Suite is located above main house at Bluebird Hill on Indian Blanket Ranch, with outside stairs and large deck that’s great for stargazing or bird watching. You are in the tree tops with the birds. The beautiful free-form swimming pool with a waterfall will relax your stresses away. This property is on Blanket Creek, which is seasonal and great for wading and catching tadpoles.
Situated on Indian Blanket Ranch, a 250 acre ranch, there are Bluebird Nestbox Nature Trails for bird watching, hiking, jogging, and mountain bicycling. There are six benches spread out on the ranch for viewing wildlife and nature photography. Relax in the hammock, hot tub, or pool, after a fulfilling day of hiking or cycling the trails.
It is located 10 miles west of Utopia, Texas and five minutes east of Garner State Park and the Frio River. This property is close enough for tubing and river fun, yet far enough away for privacy.
5 miles to Frio River
Wildlife & Birding
Upstairs Star Suite Amenities Include: Sleeps 6
• 1 king bed, 1 queen bed & 1 queen sofa bed, 1 Full Bath has Shower/No Tub
• Heat & Air, ceiling fans, Satellite TV/DVD, Wi-Fi
• Small under counter refrigerator, stove top with oven, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, blender, BBQ utensils
• No Freezer upstairs; Bring Ice Chest to have Ice
• Great Views of the Hills, Stars & Sunsets from the Deck
We leave one roll of toilet paper in each bathroom and one trash bag in each can. Bring Extra.
What to bring:
• Bath towels, wash rags, hand towels, river towels
• Extra toilet paper and extra trash bags – 13 gal. for kitchen and 39 gal. for outside cans
• Your groceries and supplies: salt, pepper, sugar, paper towels, coffee, filters, and dish soap (no dishwasher)
• Bath articles: shampoo, bath soap, hand soap, etc.
• Flashlight, batteries, matches, lighter fluid, charcoal for grill, firewood for campfire (please do not use wood cut from trees that died from Live Oak Decline)
• Stereo, camera, binoculars, bug spray, sun block, river chairs, river shoes, Fishing License, black oiled sunflower seeds for bird feeder, sugar to make nectar for hummingbird feeder (1 cup of sugar)
*Beer, wine and liquor is sold in Leakey. No alcohol is sold in Utopia, Rio Frio, or Concan.
**If traveling from out of state, plane, or bike: Towels available upon advance request at no extra charge. Please let us know at least two days ahead of time.
**Please Note** The cell towers here are AT&T, so only AT&T cell phones work here. Even then, cell service can be spotty driving through the hills.
Fall, Winter, and Springexcluding holidays
- $10.00 each extra person per night; children 1 year & under are free.
- 2 night minimum.
- $150 refundable deposit to hold your reservation. This will be deducted from your Balance Due, when you check-in.
What Our Guests Are Saying
Don’t just take it from us, let our guests do the talking!
My husband and I came out to Rio Frio Lodging (we stayed in the Star Suite) to get to a good dark sky. The nearby state parks, Garner State Park with a Bortle 4 rating and Lost Maples State Park with a Bortle 3, were very appealing coming from Houston. We set up our telescope at the entrance to the bird reserve (quite near the house) and saw Bortle 3 skies on the two very clear nights of our four night visit. By staying at the lodge, we also avoided the annoying (and quite damaging if taking pics) headlights from passing cars that are a problem at Garner SP. Since the site for the scope was close to the house, we could also come into the house to warm up during long exposures. It was heavenly.
I was expecting a cabin similar to those at the park or nearby sites nearby and was very pleasantly surprised to be staying in an honest-to goodness house. Good, non-drafty house with full kitchen, hard wood floor, bathroom with shower, wall partitioning off the one bedroom, sleeps 5 if have children. There was also a wonderful hot tub (great for post-star gazing on cold nights), three small round tables outside, a big hammock and a rock fountain that made for a great relaxing atmosphere. There are no separate rooms in the Sun Suite, so it would be quite cozy (but completely doable) for 5 adults. Large shelving unit in the middle of the common room that we used for telescope lenses and other supplies (just put the knick-knacks back when you’re done).
Overall a fantastic place to gaze at the stars within reach of Houston, Beaumont, and (of course) San Antonio. We definitely plan to come back for our next 3-day weekend!!Terzah: Houston, TX
My family rented from Rio Frio Lodging last year in August 2016! We had a wonderful visit. We stayed upstairs in the Star Suite. It was clean and homey. My kids enjoyed the beautiful swimming pool every evening. It was a great visit, very reasonably priced, and we look forward to renting from them again soon.Laura R: Baytown, TX
Grounds and Indian Blanket Ranch
830 966 2320
Rio Frio. Address: 5181 FM 1050
5 miles from Garner State Park.
Get In Touch
Send us a message